The Ninja Forum
Bloodykunai

Game reset

I feel that there should be a game reset. Too many afk for years and too many bugs. This gives a chance to make upgrades and fix bugs. It's long over due for one

I'd quit for sure. :/

Continue training little one and eventually you shall possess the same eyes.

• Like 1

Oh yea, because every other reset has worked wonders. The only thing that woupd save this game (if it could be) would be a soft reset under new management. Its obvious he who shall not be named doesn't care about the state of the game.

We'll being honest and looking at the state of the game, and PBBG's overall the market is in severe decline, all of these games have their own sets of issues but TNR at one point certainly had one of the largest and most active user-bases which were then driven off as things continued to slip out of hand.

Of course it could be made better, probably not "fixed" since gaming culture has changed so much, this type of game is in total decline, and it doesn't have the staff or resources available (like it used to, but squandered) to make any serious changes to implementation.

And even working with the bare bones skeleton cobbled by Terriator originally and the small group of people who added additional bubble gum duct tape and rubber bands to over the years folk like Wolfpack and Koala can only do so much to change the nature of the game.

Definitely unused potential, definitely blame to be assigned, and definitely some fingers to point. i know every person who has played TNR seriously over the years has had some hope that it would become something bigger than it is, or become something great. But we need to be real, TNR is a dying breed, and its glory days are past, it had its chance and blew it, and most people expect too much of the site.

This started as something Terriator did for fun way back in the day, then transitioned into a cashcow to pay for his schooling and thesis research, we outlived our usefulness, things are too far gone for TNR to become a meaningful source of income or even to gain enough to sustain any substantial development of its own, during C1 adn C2 if funds had been poured into professional development things may be different, but we will forever be locked into freelance, second hand, or volunteer fan work.

So yeah, its probably too late, even with the dark lord running amok (Not that that isn't a huge issue), and there are more serious issues at play making sure C3 will be the last core until Terriator willingly parts ways with the site and some poor unfortunate soul with a gleam in there eye tries to revive it only to become the villains they threw shade at claiming to be heroes themselves.

TL;DR

A "Core 4" would literally kill the game and its fan base in its current state, furthermore resources to make enough changes (I refuse to say the word improvement given track record) to justify such release, are nowhere near available. If you do want to see improvement, or make changes to the way things are, always keep the current systems and resources in mind, and don't hold your breath because well... Look at the last one who did.

7c3.jpg

Edited by Arphee
  • Like 1

If game would be reworked on unity and put on kongregate or steam, i would play it.

If game would be reworked on unity and put on kongregate or steam, i would play it.

You know, i could actually imagine converting something like TNR to a weird steam game, could provide much more anti-cheat measures and provide a more uniform experience to players to disable the kinds of filthy tricks folk like me use like lightweight browsers, disabling excess scrips, modifying hosts files, saving local content, blocking display elements ETC to get an (almost unfair) edge on normal players, who would never take the time to do that kind of autism.

Couldn't be done with the current code in play, and would require a lot of resources to implement PBBGs especially like TNR would be a hard medium to translate but it can certainly be done, would work for a potentially new development like the tales of aincrad before it went full defunct, least i think it is.

Saru youve been a pretty reliable fan of TNR now, play at a very high level and seem to enjoy aspects of the game, what would you say are TNR's strong suits?

Does the flavor of the game matter to you as much as the system structure?

EG Muh Ninja's and naruto-like lore, or would you be okay with any flavor  so long as its comparable and balanced?

For instance with about a year of development time 4 devry university students and about 10K i could probably make a TNR-like game based off another franchise like My Hero Academia from the ground up, but the question is would people /want/ to play it, what actually draws people to TNR, and more importantly what keeps them hooked, for a lot of folk the simple answer is nostalgia, but C3 also saw a lot of new players that never came from past cores...those people, who took the game seriously barring nostalgia, are the important data points to learn how to refine and retain a user-base for this niche.

A game reset isn't something anyone is really waiting for, certainly not us (TNR staff). Not going to say never, but it's highly unlikely in any foreseeable timeframe.

As much as I would love a complete rework of the Game, rebuilding the game core and all it's features from the ground, revisiting and revising all Features, implementing new, etc. It's simply not feasible. This kind of work takes a lot of man-hours and money, neither of which is really available.

The will is there, the time/resources are not.

Saru youve been a pretty reliable fan of TNR now, play at a very high level and seem to enjoy aspects of the game, what would you say are TNR's strong suits?

• Accessibility -  you can play it on any device with Internet, I even can play it on my fridge.
  • Progression - it's very flexible, you can log in when ever and train or wait until your pools are full and it makes no difference. Remembering my training days.... setting up my alarms every 3.5 hours to not loose my gains. "Good" old days...
  • Pre end game: Not loosing gains and/or utilizing better training method to catch up to players who were stronger and beat their ass. That false feeling of accomplishment....
  • Post end game: It is a number game - you can play the game by not playing it. Min-maxing rotations on my excel sheets, and then actually making it work in game by beating opponents who have upper hand. That was priceless...

Does the flavor of the game matter to you as much as the system structure?

EG Muh Ninja's and naruto-like lore, or would you be okay with any flavor  so long as its comparable and balanced?

For instance with about a year of development time 4 devry university students and about 10K i could probably make a TNR-like game based off another franchise like My Hero Academia from the ground up, but the question is would people /want/ to play it, what actually draws people to TNR, and more importantly what keeps them hooked, for a lot of folk the simple answer is nostalgia, but C3 also saw a lot of new players that never came from past cores...those people, who took the game seriously barring nostalgia, are the important data points to learn how to refine and retain a user-base for this niche.

I came here because I was enjoying Naruto. I also tried games based on other universes e.g. OP, bleach, DBZ, but none of them hooked me. I stayed here, because it offered order: here are 4 offenses and 5 elements and matching them you create your character and with a bonus of making up background with no limits, you can be ninjutsu masta santa claus with ice element fighting taijutsu master sun god chuck norris with light element. And at least by idea any combination of those should have weaknesses and strength toward each other. Imagination was the limit... and those pesky pay-walls of course. And why i'm still here? Now it's only nostalgia.. and those ryo buyers.

If you really planing to make a game based on anime my advice for you, do not choose one where its characters are so random as in My Hero Academia. How would you imagine character creation? mush up multiple characters in one. Well that is a no go, quirks are unique. Making unique quirk for every single character is impossible. Playing as one of anime character ain't cool if everyone playing it and looking long term - when anime looses its popularity you will not get new players. I would say go for Overlord, it has multiple races, multiple skill types and try to combine them to make a rock-papers-scissors game like TNR tried.. 

Edited by saru