The Ninja Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KiiraFox

Halloween 2016 (Tombs of Crimscarab Pharaoh’s Army)

Greetings, Seichi!

I hope you had a fantastic Halloween, both in the real world and in the game!  Hopefully your goodies have left you satisfied, at least for the time being!

Tombs of Crimscarab Pharaoh’s Army

Completion Guide

The main quest line for this Halloween was written by our newest team member (Say hello to Kitsunomicon, everyone~) and we’re all very pleased with how it turned out! We hope that you all enjoyed his fantastic writing!

The first step to the quest was was buying the book, “Wars, Deaths, and Preservations of Crimscarab Pharaoh’s Army” - referenced in our news post - from the item shop.

From there, as dictated in the book, the users were to travel to the Southern Desert (with corners located 23.18, 23.23, 28.18, and 28.23) to activate the first of the four quests: “The Red Valley”.

This quest has you defeating a Mummified Guardsman, while entering into the Tomb of Crimscarab Pharaoh - this is achieved by moving a “layer” into the square (So, corners at 24.19, 24.22, 27.19, and 27.22).  This starts the second quest, “Crimscarab Catacombs”.

This quest is similar in nature to the first - instead of Mummified Guardsmen, however, users are presented with the swarming Scarab Inhabitants - just one kill, though, is enough to satisfy the quest.  Again, users are told to move in further.  This leaves them within the corners of 25.20, 25.21, 26.20, and 26.21.  And so, “Hostage of the Dead” is initiated.  

Hostage of the Dead has users on the retreat.  Swarmed by the guardsmen, the user must quickly make their way out of the tomb that commands their death.  On the way out,  eight (8) of the Mummified Guardsmen must be slain in order to create a path out of the tomb.  Completing this gives you the rewards, “Necrotic Heart” and “Candles of Desecration”, while also initiating “The Brass Python”.

Upon exiting the tomb, users encounter a giant python, who seems drastically out of place in this sandy tomb - she even seems to be acting suspiciously.  So, being the brave ninja you are, you fight her.  But, alas, she is a powerful python, indeed, and promptly kicks your butt.  This loss satisfies the requirements of the quest, and it completes, leaving you to wonder just what this snake was up to, and what sort of mayhem she’ll bring in the future….

Rewards

Necrotic Heart - 24 hour, 100% AI reduction

Candles of Desecration - 24 hour, 35 regen bonus

Trick or Treat

Completion Guide

Stepping onto one of three ramen stands (The Black Lodge, Skyview Restaurant, and The Shaded View Inn) will allow the user to activate one of three Trick Or Treating events!

The quests were simple - Defeat a number of unique AI (The Black Lodge - 30, Skyview - 20, Shaded View - 20) and you would be rewarded with a voucher, which you could turn in at the Black Market.

Rewards

Black Lodge Voucher- Could be turned in for a random chance at: Horizon Pill, Tigerskin Scroll, Black Invitation, Engraved Tablet, Dragon Scale, Bracers of Regeneration , Panacea, Greater Heal Pill, or Flash Bang.

Skyview Voucher - Could be turned in for a random chance at: Soldier Pill, Dried Meat, Pepper Bomb, Purification Potion, Riceball Special, Alba`s Kiss, Fire-Baked Cheesecake, or Restoration Powder.

Shaded Rest Voucher - Could be turned in for a random chance at: 5 million Ryo Ticket, 500k Ryo Voucher, 1 million Ryo Ticket, 2 million Ryo Ticket, 3 million Ryo Ticket, or 4 million Ryo Ticket.

Haunted Ikea

Completion Guide

Activated at the Raymoon Shoop, users are tasked to find four AI (Top, Middle, Bottom Drawer, as well at the empty dresser) which are located at each of the corner territories. Once all four parts are collected, the quest completes, and initiates the next quest in the chain.

This quest has the users fighting a Haunted Dresser - it’s super spooky.  When completed, the users are rewarded with a Dresser Voucher.

Rewards

Dresser Voucher - Could be turned in at your home in Furniture Management for a Haunted Dresser (Takes up 10 space and awards 25 “anything” space.)

The King of Masks

Completion Guide

This quest is picked up at the Skyview Restaurant.  It directs users towards the Hot Pan ramen shop, where the users are to battle and defeat the dastardly King of Masks.  Users are then presented with 50k ryo, as a thank you for their help.

FOLLOW UP!

The three Black Market bags, as well as the Haunted Dresser, will remain purchasable until midnight tonight (gametime).  Please make sure that you redeem your vouchers by then, as you will not be able to afterwards!

We welcome and encourage all feedback!  

This time around, we are doing something a bit new - one user who responds to this thread will be chosen to be interviewed by Reporter Hakkan on their thoughts and theories about Tombs of Crimscarab Pharaoh’s Army!

• Like 5

I suggest giving a news post or a global message to inform users about this thread~ 

As far as the event goes, I loved it. All the mini quests. Felt natural. Great writing. 

With amazing and useful prizes. The voucher thing was a great idea. 

And I loved the dresser voucher. Great timing coming off the recent update. 

Keep it up guys! Looking forward to more in the future. ^_^

• Like 1

Favorite event so far, had a nice selection of prizes, not just 1, the prizes were actually worth it, all in all it was great not too impossible not too easy grinding 100 AI or so was not hard, straightforward but still required effort

Some critique though, I feel like there could be a little more lore, but thats just my opinion

Look forward to events of this standard in the future

I'd say the event was interesting even though it was very short. The whole voucher was nice but had a low chance of getting a good item. the dresser voucher was not exactly a good idea for the event. Other than that, it was quite interesting to participate in.

The quests were straightforward and easy to complete, while having nice prizes. I especially liked the furniture reward. Overall a very solid event.

I liked it but i was having trouble completely the quests. I started all of them at once and every time i turn in one it clears my battle history of the other ais for the other quests. Not sure if its a bug or whatever.

Overall it was fun. Nice prizes for sure.

That's not really something related to the event, but more of a nuisance in the way coding for Quests in general is set up. Unless you complete them all at the same time, it'll clear your history of all Quest entries, instead of just the necessary.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this. The quests were fairly straight forward, the rewards matched the effort, well done. I was just left a bit wanting...
for more story!  Having it end so abruptly with the brass python...I wanted at least another quest after that. You left me hanging here!
It was nice having a lore event along with something fun like the halloween quests. Now I want more XD

• Like 2

That's not really something related to the event, but more of a nuisance in the way coding for Quests in general is set up. Unless you complete them all at the same time, it'll clear your history of all Quest entries, instead of just the necessary.

This is what I found little annoying...But overall loved the event

Have to agree with what the others said, overall decent event although after completing the Brass Python part it almost felt like a cliffhanger.

Was it a bug or designed that when you submitted the ryo tickets you got less then was stated? For the 1mill ticket i got less around 850k, For the 5mill ticket i got slightly less. Both together ended up being around 5.7mill if i remember correctly.

Simple good events otherwise, nice to read each ones description.

Edited by LadrenGildaer
  • Like 1

Thank you for the responses thus far, everyone!

To address a few issues, concerns, questions, ect.:

Lore - Lore is going to be a huge part in the planning of any future events, this much I can assure you.  And while we're digging through the history of Seichi, who knows what ancient and knowledge-filled tomes will be unearthed.

Cliffhangers - This was completely intentional.  Our newest writer is very fond of suspense - and it seems he's rather good at it.  It gives you more reason to want to complete any following events, right?

Ryo Vouchers - Yes, this was actually a mistake on my part, and for that I'm sorry.  I was unaware that sell prices vary from village to village. In future events, hopefully this will be rectified. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the tombs event, the logbook entries were quite top-notch (enough that on several occasions I had stood around awake long enough to fully digest the entire logbook like a moron instead of playing it smart and resting immediately to safely look at it), and the end of the event definitely left me wanting for more. o.o

The area of operations being dictated in advance (the square of land used for the event) was very nice, and most of the enemy encounters (except the obvious one; that one puzzled me hard enough that I had actually avoided it until I could think of a way to combat it properly. Of course, I didn't come up with anything meaningful) were more or less easily handled. However, the jutsu descriptions were frankly pretty...bad.

Description: Torunazu hears it tail-end whip around before he notices; it zooms so fast. Sand hails he face, and it brass scales are right behind.

A little editing and it could have been: Torunazu notices its' tail whip forward, but it's too little, too late; the Brass Python's tail moves so quickly that copious amounts of debris and sand pelt Torunazu in the face, shortly before they are struck with the full, bone-crushing force of the Brass Python's impossibly large tail.

But let's not make mountains out of anthills. The jutsu descriptions aside, my only real complaint is that it ended. I kinda wanted a further story, as it seems you don't make it out without a few interesting traumas (the giant snake notwithstanding). Maybe something like paying the lovely seer a visit to find out the connection between it and the tombs (and possibly find a way to kill it) or to request help for your dark injuries. But ya know. Halloween event, and all. I participated, for once. o.o

I REALLY hope this quality of event is a sign of things to come, put it that way. It was absolutely the gold star out of this batch.

-----

As for the trick or treat events where you were pitted against the ghosts, skeletons, and jack-o-lanterns...I felt fairly iffy about. It's a grind for a shot at an RNG prize (the potential rewards were ALL nice, don't get me wrong) though I felt like the process of actually doing the events felt kinda boring. I'm used to a grind, I've done grinds, this event didn't personally bother me, but I feel like it could have been something more fun. (and hell, I made out like a bandit on the item draws. I can't complain)

Like...I dunno. An AI encounter on village tiles where you trick-or-treat an entire village at once and have to fight like 10 AI/irritated trick-or-treaters (that may be really pissed since you just took off with all the candy??) at once? Put those AoE jutsu literally every PvP-enabled rank has to use? And you have to do a round trip and hit all the villages for one quest. Or maybe take a ''spooky Black Lodge-sponsored tour'' of Current, Glacier, or Horizon? It doesn't have to be difficult, just less reliant on AI encounter rate, as it rather conveniently recreates the feeling of ''CRAP. I need this Mission AI so I can turn in my mission, but I keep getting regular AI?!"

Ya know. Sorry, getting wordy again. Anyways, it served its' purpose, gave me cool stuff, but...didn't really do anything else for me. Next. :o

-----

Oh my, yes. Raymoon Soup hosted a much nicer event than the other ramen stands; the event called for you to check specified locations (while yes, still random encounters, giving directions is good. Making the player try is not a bad thing. Doesn't hurt that it only required five total fights, too. That tones down the irritation significantly) to fight...haunted bits of a dresser. I can only imagine the haunted dresser we ultimately got as a furniture item is mostly consisted out of duct tape or wood chips or possibly both, considering how totally it's been destroyed by so many players.

Speaking of that reward, the dresser is amazing. Like...I had a Small Apartment (6 furniture space) and sold it, bought an upgraded home with the required space, and THEN got it. The only thing in my house IS that dresser, I forgot to move my items back. There's only the sneaking suspicion it'll engage in combat while I'm sleeping on village someday. I'm sure nothing wrong would come of this. 

Getting off track. Blah.

The reward for this quest made the voucher quests for the other ramen stands look stupid; this one was decently decisive, was multi-phase, and was SHORT, especially if you invested any amount of brainpower to figure out where to look. The reward is consistently great for this quest, but the other vouchers required an awful lot of ''mash left and right until you just get 20-30 Event encounters'' for a reward that was by no means consistent; not that the items/ryo you could potentially get were bad, just that the amount of encounters required felt much like a chore, rather than something to make you excited or curious.

-----

The King of Masks quest felt...kinda disappointing, honest. It was quick and decisive, quite unlike the three non-dresser voucher quests...the reward matches the effort...but there's no...fluff to it. You just kind of...get the quest and smash a single AI, logbook.

And I'm (hopefully) not being particularly salty about how I had accepted literally every event quest at once and had killed 15-ish of all the other AI (yes, I absolutely DO hate myself!), stumbled upon this one, and instantly wiped everything in the battle log for such a short, simple quest. I honestly thought I took on one of the regular quests like Golden Gibado, just from how short this one was. I wasn't aware it was even an event quest.

But it had potential, and I look forward to it being used. What if we beat the King, only to have him escape (use a Flashbang, for extra HHNNNNGH from the player) and he left a clue in his haste. Give us the opportunity to attempt to confront who we thought was the real criminal by having us stake out three possible suspect's last known coordinates to continue trailing him down to bring him to Seichi justice (wwwwhhhhaaaatever that is. I suspect it's throwing tomatoes at the convicted for about 5-15 minutes). Something, ya know. Doesn't even have to have an immediate reward, just the satisfaction of putting down someone who is doing fashion crime, or something. x_o

I'm really, REALLY sorry this is as wordy as it is, but I wanted to be thorough about my feelings on them.

I enjoyed the event it was a nice treat, the quests were fairly easy and the rewards were actually decent. Hope to see something else like this in the future. 

Only thing i could criticize is how low the AI spawn rate was, seriously took forever for 30 of those skeleton to pop up. 

Thank you Kiira and the event team! 

I liked the event and the free money i got. It made me happy ♥

• Like 1

Was it active 48 hours? Time window was way too short and on holidays... didn't have time to complete it  <_<

Straight forward, clearly outlined, well explained, decent variance in prizes, non-gimmicky practical rewards.

I do wish that the promotional furniture voucher(s) in the future will be available for longer, as organizing mass storage buying and selling furniture to fit it in to available slots can be a real hassle for people, maybe consider allowing the event voucher items to go into the storage box if furniture limit isnt available?

And event times in general need to be looked at, there wasn't anything particularly time sensitive, or any part of the event that would seem to cause excess server load, should have ran for about a week-

Other complaints for the tomb questline would be reward text being vague, honestly going forward things should probably have clear labels in brackets with their actual effects ([Recovers 25,000 + HP*.10]) especially any in battle items since we no longer have AI spamming as a means of testing them.

All in all it was solid, an astonishing improvement over some of the more gnarly and dickish events designed to borderline troll the user-base, its a breath of fresh air and i think i speak for a lot of people when i say ghat damn is it welcome, and we do appreciate it.

Moar promotional furniture tho pls, i want some dragon statues, skelington coat racks,  spicegirls spice racks, THE ROCK rocking chars, Nickleback picture frames,  u get the idea!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this