The Ninja Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kajowwojak

Of Bugs and Blokes

Vita Voro found himself outside of his usual hidden nest for one sole purpose, and that was to find himself a few breeds of insects.  Before the Upheaval, he had his own army of bugs that he used, but now, he was in need of fresh blood, as it were.  The massive hulking man kept himself relatively hidden, using the forest's trees to keep himself hidden.  To say that the man was mutated was an understatement, as he had even gotten to the point where he could alter his skin pigmentation to try to blend in with the foliage around him.

But, he was still on a mission, and in this case, he needed a Mantis.  They're known for this type of climate, but they were never heavy in population, and the Upheaval threw everything out of whack.  Dressed in rags, due to having trouble having anything... 'properly fit', the shinobi crawled through the underbrush, searching different bugs, his sensitive eyes scanning every leaf to see which was actual foliage, and which was merely an insect in disguise.

11498-1922694649.png

Vita in search of a mantis would find himself crawling though brush in a clearing that was swarming with tiny beetle like insects. Inside the swarm was what appeared to be a sphere shape mass of them where thousands of the tiny guys swirled and seemed to multiply right before his very eyes.  If he continued to stay the sphere would break apart as a man stood up and twisted his head to look at Vita. The man himself bald and dressed in monk robes with dorayaki part way in his mouth would pull out the dorayaki to speak in a playful tone. "I don't like butter, and I'm not a fly. Whoever named me made a bad try. When I'm not flying up too high, You might chase me when I flutter by..."

~NPC Posting for kajowwojak~

Beetle... Beetle... Beetle... No no, these were all the wrong species.  He needed a Mantis, long, thing, with a triangular head, multiple functioning brains, and scythe-like limbs.  He didn't need hard shelled defensive bugs who are prey.  The swarm of beetles in the middle, however, had the bug man curious, as he would go still for a moment, letting his camouflage hide him as he watched this abnormal behavior.  However, it was shortly after that, that a man would protrude from the mass of bugs, and would start... Rhyming, or something to that nature.  The unsettling part was that he was talking directly to him.  Or it would so appear.

"Who are you?" he would find himself asking as he took a defensive stance, his arms out in front of him, fingers spread and claws bared.  He wasn't intending to appear hostile, as he was merely looking for bugs.  He had no need to attack anyone.  He wasn't even hungry.

If the man was off put by Vita he was hiding it well but Vita well knew the man was most likely unnerved by his natural aura. Still he would with a bow introduce himself but would keep to remaining at a distance and every watchful, something Vita was most likely used to. "I am Kikai, Minamoto. Now that I have introduced myself it is your turn. What brings you out here into this area of Wind Country? Someone of your....presence would be known enough if a local. You also never answered my riddle good................sir?"

Moving to the side while still keeping an eye on Vita he would sit on a log while chewing on another dorayaki that seemly came from nowhere. Vita as perceptive as he was would take note the many bettle like bugs in the area that now surrounded him through the area in various spots and around the man now know as Minamoto. They wouldn't appear to be threatening but coming from someone who specialized in bugs it was obvious they were shinobi bred insects.

He was very wary of the insects that surrounded him.  Wary, but not afraid.  He didn't have any of his own insects with him at the moment, but he felt confident enough in his own skill to not be afraid of them, specifically.  "Voro."  He would state, his voice certainly sounding... Hoarse wasn't the word, but like his jaw didn't quite work for the common tongue.  "Locating Insects for... experimentation."  He said, sounding like he just wasn't used to speaking 'normally' and, instead, spoke in blunt, efficient sentences that might be hard to follow, but provide exactly the information they need to.  He didn't correct him on the 'sir' part, but he let out a low growl that could have been taken as a 'hmm' from someone of his stature.

"Rhopalocera."  He would add in, near the end, as it would appear that he was actually being given a 'riddle' he was obligated to answer for some reason.  His stance didn't shift much, but his long fingers did curl, his claws not quite bared so as his eyes watched the bald man curiously. 

Clapping his hands and smiling the man would give praise to Vita for answering the riddle correctly. "Not only did you answer it correctly but you used it's scientific name. You're not as dumb as you look. Not that you're dumb, or that you're dumb looking....you're certainly imposing though. Are you sure you're human?" The man would seem to talk fast as if this was all one big prank but at the same time he seemed very composed and very alert for someone so relaxed.

Motioning to another log about 10 feet away he'd offer Vita a seat. "Have a seat for a moment. You say you're looking for a particular insect. What if I told you where you can find some really good ones?" The man then would, in a nonthreatening way form handseals, and then place his hand on to the surface the log he was sitting on to extend a web made of chakra into area to lure mantises from the surrounding area to his location. After a few moments if Vita was patient 3 would appear that had been in hiding and were steering clear of the beetles. 

Vita watched the odd man curiously, his green eye intensely focused on him as he spoke.  The question on weather or not he was Human was... difficult to answer.  He was, and still mostly is, human, but, after how much mutation do you stop?  At what point do you stop being human, and start becoming something more?  He seemed a little frustrated to the question, until he seemed to be diverted from it with the next one.  The log was a good distance away from the other Bug user, enough that he could escape if necessary...  Finally he sighed as he would step forward from the edge of the clearing, his long gate only needing a few steps to clear the distance, and eventually be left sitting on the log.

" 'Good' Subjective.  Different situations, different definitions of good."  He responded, folding his large fingers together as he watched him, the claws on his feet digging into the dirt below him.  'Why offer assistance?"  He finally asked, squinting slightly.  As monsterous as he looked, it really was clear he was still fully functional in the head, and was wary of strangers, especially ones willing to assist him for seemingly nothing.

Picking up the mantises he'd pull out a piece of cloth out of a knapsack near the log that clinked with the sounds of metal inside. Placing them in the cloth and tying it he'd toss the cloth to Vita so he could have them in his possession. "Well admittedly. I wasn't 100% honest. Truth be told I have heard of you. It's hard for someone of your past reputation and appearance to completely vanish. The Kikai clan follows and tracks the best of the best when it comes to insect users so we can collect and amass jutsu. We are after all the most powerful clan when it comes to it." Pausing for a moment he'd let it sink in that the man knew who he was. It would be obvious that Minamoto had no sense of social boundaries, readily admitting to gathering intelligence about people.

Motioning to the beetles around the area he'd continue talking. "As you can see I myself specialize in their use. We are a rare breed even in the shinobi world, sometimes having more in common with insects than we do people, something I think you can relate to more than even myself. Take these Seikatsu haisui konchū of mine. Years of special cultivating and training bred these powerful companions of mine. I know them better than anyone and they know me better than anyone. It's a symbiotic relationship but you seem to be devoid of such a relationship at the moment. You seem lost and empty. Even through your monstrous appearance it's in your eyes. Why is that? Where is your family?" It would be quite obvious that Minamoto was starting to become more serious and honest, leaving his prankish demeanor away and showing a composed and collected personality. It would also be apparent that while Vita spoke short he was giving him the credit of being able to follow every word and not just assuming that Vita was unintelligent.

As soon as the cloth came towards him, he would reach out with his hands to catch them, his monstrous form surprisingly gentle when handing them, using his claws to cut open the cloth to release them, letting them crawl upon his skin as he would whisper almost incoherently to them.  As another insect user, assuming he spoke Mantis,  Minamoto would recognize common words like "safe".  However, Vita would direct his attention back to the man in front of him, the claws on his feet digging into the dirt a little more as the other bug nin came clean.  This put the mutated human on edge, but not quite fleeing yet.

"Perished."  He would say after a moment of pause.  His enhanced senses kept careful note of the beetles surrounding them as he would play with one of the mantises crawling around on his fingers.  "Upheaval.  Hiding.  No time for Experimentation... collection..."  He added in with a sigh, though the mantids were at least bringing a smile to his disfigured face.  He also spoke of symbiosis, between him and his bugs, and it was something Vita related very closely with, as his entire existence was Symbiosis.  He pushed his bugs to evolve to be even better than before, and in return, they help him as well.  Granted, his method isn't  usually considered 'proper' but he really doesn't harm his bugs in the process.

However, Vita would shift his eye focus from the Mantis, to the owner of the beetles, and squint.  "Motive...  Symbiosis?"  He would guess, taking a moment to take a deep breath and choose more proper words.  "Do you want... Me to... Work with you?"  He looked slightly confused speaking in the extended syntax of the Common Language, not usually needing it, as he spent more time speaking to his bugs, than with other people.

Crossing his arms and placing one under his chin he'd take a common position for people who are in deep thought. The air between the two shinobi would be thick with uneasiness, partly due to nether trusting the other, feeling the other out, being ready for a confrontation and Vita's aura. "You pose an interesting question. I hadn't considered that as an option. No offense you aren't known for working well with others but I can't help but feel that's due in part because you've never had anywhere you could call home. If you were to fit in anywhere it would be the Kikai clan. Is my assumption correct? If you'll permit me we can find out with a simple jutsu"

If it seemed like Vita wouldn't object or was slow to react Minomato would pull a bell out from his sleeve and ring it using the genjutsu cue of sound to inject the jutsu Makoto no Kagami [Mirror of Truth], assuming Vita allowed it without confrontation a giant mirror would rise out of the earth in front of of his vision between the two, blocking his line of sight. What Vita would within the mirror is how he viewed target at that moment but it seemed like more than that. It would also allow him to see himself in a clan of people that would accept him, if he really thought he had the mentality for it or not. It would show Vita the truth of his heart.

The bug man watched him carefully.  In the past, he had chosen isolation with his insects in order to try to work in peace with his bugs to breed and mutate them to be better, but... That had proven to not be the most useful as he was still one man, who could not take over the world.  The other option would be that of the insects he himself work with:  Safety in numbers, working in Tandem with each other.  The thing he didn't like the prospect of, however, was the fact that he may have to answer to someone else, which may lead to altering his experiments.  No path was flawless.

However, in his introspection, he heard a bell chime, and the next thing he knew, he saw the mirror in front of him, and seeing the other shinobi was... odd.  he saw him exactly how he was, yet he was not.  There was something about him that the extremely scientifically oriented being couldn't pick out.  But then there was him, within the clan.  The idea of them all being willing to accept him, his experiments to his bugs, and especially to himself, seemed beyond the realm of realism, but then, the mirror was gone, leaving the large individual sitting in silence as he was left with a mixed emotion, made worse still by the fact that emotion didn't seem to be a main solution for him.  It was usually all cold collected decisions.

Finally, he would speak up.  "Joining a...  Hive.  Could prove... Beneficial.  However... Outside entities... usually rejected."  he tried to explain, as he would hold his hands over his body.  "Am... Very different.  Psychology and physiology."  He would continue, seeming strained from having to speak so much as he gently lifted a mantis from his shoulder to hold up to his eye for closer inspection.  "Am not...  opposed.  Wary.  Unsure."  He wasn't quite sure very well how to properly answer the other bug shinobi, but it was very clear that he wasn't against the idea of joining a group, but more that he wasn't sure that he would be given the 'safety' that others would gain by joining a clan.

Seeing what Vita saw a great pain would bleed across his face. It was obvious that Vita longed for more but was scared. In those few short moments, which seemed much longer to the mind, he learned a great deal and so did Vita it seemed. "Safety...yes that is what is important. It's why insects, animals and people have colonies. They herd together for safety, power and companionship. I can't promise you people will instantly like you for you are unsettling but if you were to become part of the family you would forever be in the family. We are like army ants. The ties between members of the clan run deep. Loyalty to the clan comes before all else, even before a village, even to those that would be hated by all others. You would have safety with us but would we have it from you? That's what you need to ask yourself. Look deeper into yourself see the truth" (genjutsu magic ha!)