The Ninja Forum
Cedzen

Town Hall: Missions

Alright, since the last thread went very well, we're going to take the time for a longer discussion, since an update is less imminent. The subject this time is missions and essentially how to reward activity instead of long-term grinding and the alarm-clock lifestyle. PLEASE keep the discussion focused - the subject is missions and only missions for now, other things will be discussed in their own threads eventually.

With that said, let's begin.

Right now we have 3 theoretical options (well, 4, but no one really wants the 4th option of things staying the same...I hope):

Option 1:

Keep 8 missions a day and the same format, but doable at any time of the day until all 8 have been completed. There can be some cooldown between missions (perhaps 1 hour or 30 minutes). This counter resets at midnight game-time.

Pros: Gets rid of the alarm-clock lifestyle, allows users some flexibility and gives them the opportunity to maximise mission gains.

Cons: People are still limited to 8 missions a day. Growth is limited by the system.

Option 2:

Combine things into the same system as above but instead of 8 missions, just have 1 daily mission to be completed at any point within the day. This mission would take significantly more time and effort and would have several integrated problem-solving elements so you actually have to think about things to complete it. Could be a different mission per day every day for a month or 30 missions, 1 of which is chosen at random and the only rule is that you can't repeat the previous day's mission. Rewards will scale appropriately of course.

Pros: Less monotony, more user engagement during missions. Same pros as option 1.

Cons: Same as cons as option 1. Also, people might be encouraged to log in less because there's only 1 required action.

Option 3:

A return to an early C2 style of missions, with a twist- where there are many smaller missions with equally smaller rewards. Users can go at it to their hearts' content, though rewards would decay via attrition over time - i.e. as you do more missions, rewards will begin to decline somewhat. There would be a vague break-even point where it would probably be most efficient to stop until the next day, but you can keep going on if you want to.

Pros: Users get to have an individualized experience and their progress is proportional to the amount of effort they put in. Periods of low activity can be balanced by periods of high activity.

Cons: Might be prone to abuse via bots, disadvantages casuals somewhat

Let's get the ball rolling, peeps.

Edited by Cedzen

can you refresh our memory about C2 missions if forget how they even look like ^^

Edited by Baraka_Render

Guest Faithy

I like Option 1 the best... but I would prefer a shorter cooldown, possibly 30min

also increase all mission gains by like 200%

Edited by Faithy

Early C2 had many small missions that could be completed one after the other with a 15-second timer in between. Option 3 wouldn't necessarily work identically, but fairly similar.

The first option isnt bad. It would probably get the activity up; now you can do 8 in 24 hours, so you dont have to bother to be around, just log in every 3h to do it.

With tthe first option, total 8 can be done in 8h or 4h (depends on the cooldown) so players should rather get more active since it isnt that long to wait for the next mission. That would be a + for those who work/school etc.

The 2nd is like an event? Even tho it might be harder and would require ppl to think and all, like the events now, some ppl wait out for someone to do it and then ask them about it and finish it easily. And the con already mentioned, they wouldnt have a reason to log much on tnr with 1 mission a day.

The 3rd, it is more like just spamming the missions. Would probably get boring.

Guest Faithy

Yeah option 2 would lead to people constantly asking in tavern for the answers! 

Option 3... grind. ;-;

I'm just really frustrated by the fact that newer players who want to put more effort will still be forced to progress at the same rate as casuals who coast along doing the bare minimum

Go with option 1, it would provide the best chance for new players to catch up, since option 3 would only let those that can get on a majority of the day to speed past all will ease. Even with Option 1 some players could still miss out on some missions so it can help new players catch up. Option 2 just seems like it would lower activity and if it is too hard could discourage new players from wanted to even try missions and play the game. So overall I'd say Option 1 is the best for everyone, and I'd go with a 30 minute cooldown, to help out those with work and schooling.

I would say option 1 or 3.

Option 1 caters more to the casuals.

If 2 players started at the same time and trained at the same pace, they would kind of have similar stats. (If you use high rank jutsus on AI’s, you kind of waste pools). 

I would say 30 minutes cooldown would be reasonable. 

Option 3 caters to the more grindy and hardcore players, which will allow more diversity in stats, but some players might consider unfair?

Depends on the decay and if you would eventually hit 0 or very low stat gains. The hardcore players could grind until they would reach a "wall" and the hardcore players would get the same stat gains, but still be above the casuals. Imo, grinding is boring.

I think someone made a suggestion thread and a chart about that, long time ago.

For me neither of these options would really help newer players much.

The option 1 is more like a constant than catching up, since almost everyone would be able to do 8. The only way to catch up would be when ppl cap.

Btw, the option one is a daily mission? So it would be like EM, after you do the 8th mission you can do them after 24h?

or it would be daily based calculating the game time?

Well, in a way they would progress the same; but also it should give less reason to quit the game for some. Till now the "activity" required  you to be 24h on the game so you dont miss any missions and advance faster.

Even so, those who want to advance faster could raid for pvp to increase their regen. Tho they would die more probably.

Keep in mind that you're all free to suggest tweaks or alternatives. This is just what I had in mind but lord knows I haven't thought of everything. Keep it reasonable though.

How about option 1 (Limit 8 missions a day, 30 minutes cooldown). After the 8th mission, the mission place could say something like “Come back in 3 hours and I might have a special mission/quest for you†or go somewhere to activate a special quest/mission. After the 3 hours has passed, you would unlock a 9th mission/quest (Could be similar to an EM or just a regular mission).

This would still cater to the casuals, but also cater to those who wants to dedicate themselves a bit more.

I would go with option 1. Szilu has suggested it time and time again for good reason. Its the best option. Plus 8 a day alarm style is HARMFUL to your physical RL health.

"I'm just really frustrated by the fact that newer players who want to put more effort will still be forced to progress at the same rate as casuals who coast along doing the bare minimum"

You can do things like add extra daily missions in the log in streak bonus, Give new players x1.5 or x2 missions that are in 21 day protection. Plenty of things can be done with this module. But the ability to award extra missions makes this the best choice

Make a daily quest for genin that upon completion awards more d-mission uses. (Would encourage more to hold genin longer to get better stats faster than chuunin)

Edited by AzraelsGrace

I've already mentioned this to you in the tavern, but I'd like to see a combination of 2 and 3. 

If missions took a little bit longer to complete, like an average of 10-20 minutes, then not only would that get users active for a longer period of time while doing missions, but it would make botting/abusing option 3 a lot harder. Then add a 15 minute cooldown between missions and let users spam as many as they want with decreasing gains for each additional mission. 

If say the average mission time was 15 minutes adding a 15 minute cooldown, the maximum number of missions a person could do if they spent their whole day was 48. If say, the lowest amount you'd receive from a mission is 10 HP and 1 of each general, then even if half of those missions gave the minimum amount, you'd still get 240 HP and 24 of each gens in a day. This is low enough to cause already strong players to not care about spending their time doing these missions, but then if a try-hard new player wants to work their ass off, it'll start paying off. (Note: I understand that my numbers are not realistic, as even if a new player wanted to get 48 missions in during a day, they could not sustain that rate, just trying to give an example.)

I think that Option 1 is an accepted secondary solution. I like that it gives players the opportunity to keep up without killing themselves, but I also like to give people the opportunity to work hard to get ahead. Right now, those who want to set alarms can do that, but of course, that's not the healthy option, my above explained suggestion would help get the best of both sides.

Edited by Shikayaru

I would highly recommend Option 1. However, instead of 8 missions, how about 10? I say 10 just to have a rounded number. Could I also suggest using the Login Streak in creating windows of opportunity?

Edited by Zanto

Option 2 and option 3 arent good for people who play tnr on mobile. So option 1 is best idea so far.

I would hate option 3 just for the fact that ubers can just sit on your village and murder you when you return from a mission over and over again.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Technically pvp isn't good for people on mobile either. Still, I think the goal should be to help increase overall activity. If there's a wider window in which to do your missions, it'll make a lot less people have to play TNR on mobile. Also, you could do what Azrael does and use Yaseen's Ironfist menu with your mobile turned to landscape, you could use my NinjaBoy toolbar for mobile, and I'm trying to work on updating that and also working on a landscape mobile toolbar as a wider screen space is necessary for pvp. 

And Dami, use a ragebar and that won't be an issue unless the mission requires you to stay in a village to complete it. My ragebar has an option to accept your mission, so you don't even have to click the button. 

I'm against option 3 just cause like people have mentioned before it caters to those that can sit and okay the game for the entire day.

Option 1 seems the best. You can do it whenever you want and can pump out all 8 of them without the annoying alarms. Granted I do like a longer cooldown like an hour but the 30 minute cool down is fine with me as well. I think 8 is fine and should be the limit.

The problem with fusing 2 and 3 would probably be that it gets boring after a while.

Spamming missions that take 10-20min would get boring for me at least.

And the most hated mission in tnr would be the D rank one where ppl have/had to kill those black rats. Easy to do, but boring as hell xD

Edited by Az.

This would hopefully push people to rank up earlier as well to do B or A missions because doing 8 B ranks is much better than 8 C ranks a day as the difference in gains is much more noticeable compared to when doing 3-5 missions a day.

I can understand that Az, but I'd also like to see more than just 5 missions that you do over and over again. I guess that'd be a necessity if my idea was used. Even if there were 20 missions, it could still get boring, but then again, I think the ideal amount of missions people would do for a reasonable amount of gains is 8-10. Beyond that, only those who want to work hard to grind it out would do anymore. The gains would be small, but they could build up.

There's always going to be a big gap between new players and the older ones. I'm just gonna wait til you all quit

I wasn't in core2 so I don't know about the missions but when you say you could do as many as we want how many would that be and what would you start off making? If nothing else works the first choice would be best

I wasn't here for C2 either but the sound of spamming missions as much as you want doesn't sound appealing. In fact it sounds like it'll only benefit those who can hardcore play the game. (As in NEETS who don't have a job or go to school or whatever.) Option 2 just... Feels weird. One mission a day. I rather combine option 1 and 2 like someone said and make it so that there is an additional mission after the 8 ones like an EM quest +1.

As kitty said. There will always be a gap between the new and the old. Why are the news always trying to catch up to the olds in a way that is as fast as possible? Isn't this the hierarchy of most MMO games? If you sign in to a game, especially a PVP game, you cannot expect newbies to cap the game and defeat a vet who's been playing a while right off the bat. You have to work at it. Sure you die a lot, but um... Pvp game. -nudge nudge-

Edited by Nexilus