The Ninja Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kopravich

"Closed" in closed threads!

So far, the definition was clear. Joining the threads which are closed is considered very impolite, but it is still legit, unless there are some other RP rules preventing you from joining.

But on the other hand, RPing on this forum should be about having fun and enjoying it, so there should be some limits on who is allowed to interact with who, RP wise.

I believe that when some RPers wants none to interrupt them, then they should be able to make that happen. Of course, this only applies when they are doing only their personal things, which don't affect anyone else nor when they are using such privilege to bypass some other rules and protect themselves from suffering the consequences of what they previously did or intend of doing.

The amount of hostile intentions on this forum for the sake of ego boosting/powerplaying and whatever else reasons is increasing and personally, I don't want to let them screw my RP nor anyone elses.

Opinions?

So far, the definition was clear. Joining the threads which are closed is considered very impolite, but it is still legit, unless there are some other RP rules preventing you from joining.

But on the other hand, RPing on this forum should be about having fun and enjoying it, so there should be some limits on who is allowed to interact with who, RP wise.

I believe that when some RPers wants none to interrupt them, then they should be able to make that happen. Of course, this only applies when they are doing only their personal things, which don't affect anyone else nor when they are using such privilege to bypass some other rules and protect themselves from suffering the consequences of what they previously did or intend of doing.

The amount of hostile intentions on this forum for the sake of ego boosting/powerplaying and whatever else reasons is increasing and personally, I don't want to let them screw my RP nor anyone elses.

Opinions?

I was always under the impression that "closed" meant "don't come here unless your invited" therefore I thought that disrespect was against the rules...... but I guess it isn't? I'm so confused :/

I thought if a thread was deemed closed no-one else could enter except given permission or if you're a missing nin?

With an individual RP thread, closed is a courtesy i feel should always be obeyed.

Now, if you make a location thread that is closed, thats all well and good for individual RPs, but it should not protect against invasions. Its still a piece of real estate in the village.

@Jiggsaw: Missing nin invading threads is common, but anyone can do it. It has historically just been more socially acceptable to do so as a missing ninja.

I was always under the impression that "closed" meant "don't come here unless your invited" therefore I thought that disrespect was against the rules...... but I guess it isn't? I'm so confused :/

I thought if a thread was deemed closed no-one else could enter except given permission or if you're a missing nin?

It is allowed, but severely disrespectful and impolite.

And I would say that it can break some global rules, since it means that you are annoying someone..

I think in any game we play there are always checkpoints and save points where you can cool off and rest. MMORPG has has areas where we can stand without being attacked - most of them - So I think if a very personal thread is closed then I think we shouldn't enter without permission.

It is allowed, but severely disrespectful and impolite.

And I would say that it can break some global rules, since it means that you are annoying someone..

if its allowed then I think the rules should be revamped >_>

It's about respect. If someone has no respect for anyone else, then other people won't want to RP with them, and they'll rather rapidly run out of people to RP with. If they're okay with facing that consequence, then there's... really not much that can be done with the current ruleset.

if its allowed then I think the rules should be revamped >_>

Which is kinda the point of this thread. But it isn't as straightforward as it looks like.

Closed threads being undeniably closed to everyone without the permission to join would have a lot of abusing potential.

It's about respect. If someone has no respect for anyone else, then other people won't want to RP with them, and they'll rather rapidly run out of people to RP with. If they're okay with facing that consequence, then there's... really not much that can be done with the current ruleset.

but with the current ruleset apparently you can enter a closed thread anyway, therefore interrupting someone in every thread they start. preventing that person from doing anything by using the "I don't want to rp with you" it doesn't solve the problem, it allows people to get away with blatant disrespect

Which is kinda the point of this thread. But it isn't as straightforward as it looks like.

Closed threads being undeniably closed to everyone without the permission to join would have a lot of abusing potential.

indeed.

You have to remember that this is a forum about ninja, and sometimes things go horribly wrong for them

Is it rude to crash a closed thread? Absolutely

Should we make it impossible for other people to enter someone's threads? Personally I don't think so, especially not if someone slaps a closed tag on every thread.

If someone has a legitimate reason to be there, it might be an idea to just roll with it, it could turn out to be interesting.

I'm not sure if I articulated my point right...it might be too early in the morning for me to have tried, but meh

It is also possible to just make your thread "In a location only those who know how to find it could possible find". The Sumyori clan is set up in such a way, for instance.

I really find it ...well, not savory that someone can inturrupt a place regardless of what the first part says, or the tag that says closed.

I remember at one point in time, spelling this out. I have to dig it up, but its taking awhile because im looking for a thread that was probably posted about ~3 years ago, and it might not even exist anymore because of forum pruning.

Now, if someone is purposefully crashing all of your threads, you are within your right to combat them with the ic rules. Namely, demand that they demonstrate how their RPC was able to track yours. If they can't, they are metagaming, and get a mod in there to tell the person who is interrupting you to gtfo.

If they are able to track you everywhere you go, well, we are ninja; what the hell is wrong with you? Getting tracked so perfectly is in complete violation of the ninja tenets and you should probably work on that one.

I ended up not finding hard rules spelling out where mnin and anbu can be.

The only posted thing where missing and anbu can be is missions, and crimes, which is here:

Sometimes things go wrong, so it's always recommended to have a backup plan. Crimes are not always easy to complete and sometimes a snitch can notify the authorities. ANBU, or other good Samaritans can come along and foil your plot.

This is where completion is harder then a mission.

A crime thread can not be closed or closed kill, if you wish to gain credit for it.

But there is a limitation to who can interfere with the crime;

ANBU always takes precedance and can interefere anytime.

Regular Nins can only enter if there is an equal number of missing nins.

For example, if one missing nin is doing the crime, one regular nin can interefere.

The exception to this rule is when a lesser rank of the missing nin intereferes, there can be two of the lesser rank instead of one of equal rank. But NOT a combination of both.

Nowhere did i find it stated that missings can enter any closed thread without permission. Now, i stated:

7) Etiquette - Please refrain from deliberately taking actions that are intended to interfere with or annoy other RPers. For instance, don't join a thread or a fight that is 'closed' without permission, it isn't against the rules but it is extremely disrespectful.

8) Respect - Please show respect to all members of the forum at all times, this applies to the role-play as well. Refrain from being disrespectful to another real person.

10) Common Sense - Often times, for the sake of brevity, clarity, and free-form, rules do not cover all situations, nor are they perfectly accurate. Use common sense when interpreting any rules or descriptions in the RP.

Common sense and respect state that when an rp'er kindly asks for family and invited only in a thread, means that it is off limits for non invited, non family missings. You can feel free to point to rules that say otherwise, but i could not honestly find any.

Really, i don't want to be a part of an rp where i can get invaded because someone wants to just because. You want to just blow up the entire city, and the daos go with it because they are in said city? go for it. You have an rp'd hatred of the dao and want to get revenge? again, go for it.

Just tallying up your destruction, and being disrespectful to the people around you while doing so, and have no ooc limit where you can go? I want no part of it. Hope your destruction is fun.

Having a MN be an annoyance instead of a cold blooded killer is completely legit, and as far as the basic point of this thread goes, yeah....as long as you have the ability to be there, there is little stopping you from existing there.

Now, all the OOC conduct that has gone along with this particular incident is not ok, and the party at fault HAS been told to cease the OOC taunting.

IC'ly, yes it is.

OOC'ly it is not. It is rude, disrespectful, or what have you, it is in my opinion, very much so against the rules. Unfortuately, the rules that i quote are purpousfully left vauge as a way to keep rp ethics around.

Yes, anyone who invades a thread when it is specifically stated in the first post that he is not allowed to be there, is violating TNF's ethics. Ignoring the stated intent of a closed thread with your own agenda is downright rude. I will not tolerate it, and as i stated, will not be participating in an RP where such things are allowed.

Disclaimer:

In no way do i mean this to be an ultimatum, if it can be taken that way. I just feel that strongly about this. Lets face it, this is a precedence, because no one has ever invaded a thread without consent via specific missing nin/anbu rules, or ooc consent.

I have several times actually. I set the precedent about two years ago.

I wasn't aware of that.

It only takes one person to be ...less than savory of a person, and ruin it for another person permanently. That was the whole intent of a 'closed' thread. It gives an rp'er a chance to do things without fear of having someone else roll in and change them.

It also invalidates the idea of 'you don't like someone or something they have? Don't rp with them.' well....now they can. I won't lie- there are several people on tnf that i want to not rp with. I stayed because i thought 'if things get too hairy, i can just close off my thread and get done what i need to get done'

@hito:

This isnt just about raph. There are others that i could easily see doing this as well to be an ass.

That line of logic does not apply to closing a location thread. Its a building in the village like any other, and it had no active RPs in it. I am not forcing anyone to RP with me. They barely have to acknoeldge my existence.

Frankly, I am tired of this facade. People should not be able to just OOC until they get their way because they are powerless to do anything IC. It is far more reprehensible.

That line of logic does not apply to closing a location thread. Its a building in the village like any other, and it had no active RPs in it. I am not forcing anyone to RP with me. They barely have to acknoeldge my existence.

Frankly, I am tired of this facade. People should not be able to just OOC until they get their way because they are powerless to do anything IC. It is far more reprehensible.

And where does it say that?

If i was aware of that, i would have suggested we make a 'public' dao residence, that is for 'official' business, and a private one just for dao members. That way, you would have a place you can blow up, and a place where we can have our family RP.

Actually, you are. You invaded a thread that was closed. If there had have been someone there, they would have had to deal with you if they had any interest in the building/place themselves.

Frankly, I am tired of people not having enough respect for other members to RESPECT their wishes story wise. It's one thing if they enter an open kill thread on their own, not so much otherwise. You see, most of the time the end result does not bother me nearly as much as the intent of it. you stated it yourself:

Alex had found another clan compound. Wonderful. Alex might not have had OOC permission, but really, when you're attacking somewhere, you aren't expected to have permission.

You don't care if you are intruding on someones thread. All you care about is your agenda. It is acts like these that make RP not enjoyble for some people. I know for a fact that it makes it unenjoyable for me to know that i could be invaded at any time, dispite my ooc wishes and the fact that one of my rpc's chose a 'safe' area as far as shinobi go.

Because i could care less if you blew up a building. I care that you are violating someone else's RP wishes.

Closing a location to the degree you are claiming would essentially mean every building in the village got this:

Eien [Eternity]

Requirements: At least 4 users.

Description: This technique is the same as the Guardian Field. However, now it is able to stop even jutsu from entering or exiting the barrier, making it effective for protecting important buildings. However, due to the severe increase in chakra demand, the area this technique can cover is much smaller then before.

Note that all kage mansions are immediately covered by this jutsu as soon as a village realises that they are under attack

If you don't want your house attacked, you should take the marginal amount of time to say it is hidden.

If its just sitting there in clear public view, there is no IC reason I shouldn't target it.

again, you are missing the point.

You are stating an IC solution to an OOC problem.

That wasn't a solution. That was a problem with your argument. And no matter how much you flail, it has been made clear I legally can do it. You've made your point. About twenty times today. I think it no longer bares reiteration.