2 replies to this topic

#1 Lav

Lav

Academy Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:03 AM

Said to be the birthplace of the first Extinction Herald, the location of the elusive Mount Meikan has been a long-standing mystery...until now. A sizable treasure has been left in the remnants of the fabled mountain for anyone daring enough to attempt the voyage. Starting from today, the first person to reach the Crater of Meikan will win a prize of 50 million ryo.  (No TNR staff eligible, sorry.)

To save people months of searching for Mount Meikan, a riddle has been graciously composed by the one and only Phyregrimm78, to help guide would-be explorers on their journey:

Out in the Sea,

I be sitting and waiting for ye.

Unmarked and lost, with no skiff

Ye can only find me Adrift

If ye venture forth the Root
Ye journey will drudge

Stay set, to the New Dawns Route

Only then can new shores be reached through deluge.

As Gnashing Teeth begin to surface, 

Yer Soujourn will find a new purpose.

If yer stores be low, and start to lose yer Coil,

The brine will take to no new soil. 

Sands lost at birth, 

Will you find me Crater hearth. 

To claim the prize, PM me in-game or on the forums with the correct coordinates.

Good luck!

Edited by Lav, 24 November 2018 - 06:35 AM.

• Rakusai likes this

#2 Nepgear

Nepgear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHyper Dimension

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:26 PM

Said to be the birthplace of the first Extinction Herald

Spoiler

• Aelin and Lav like this

#3 Lav

Lav

Academy Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:00 AM

And we have a winner! Congratulations to Khione for being the first participant to reach the Crater of Meikan and bring home the 50 million ryo treasure! Thank you to all the participants that tried their hand at solving the riddle and I hope you had fun! The following is a walkthrough to solving the puzzle.

Getting started

The riddle was a two-part puzzle. It was intended to be quite challenging to figure out, but not impossible with the right thinking. For the first step, you were meant to take notice of the words that started with a capital. Some of these words were hints as to what to pay attention to the most.

The first word of note was 'Adrift'; an obvious hint to let people know that the only way to find Meikan was to drift unconscious in the ocean. Noticing the capital on the word in "If ye venture forth the Root", it was intended to help you find the starting point of your adventure. Traveling from the "Root" meaning to travel from 0,0 on the map. 

The next hint, "Stay set, to the New Dawns Route" tripped up a lot of people. Many thought this line meant for people to travel east, the direction in which you see the sun rising. More keen observers would correctly infer that it actually meant the path that the sun takes; from east to west. So with these hints, the first part of the puzzle should have led you to travel west from 0,0 and from there to 49,0; the ocean coastline.

The second part of the riddle is where it gets trickier. Just traveling west was not enough to reach the Crater of Meikan. You would inevitably drown and drift back to the same coast before you could go far enough. So what now?

The "Gnashing Teeth" in the riddle were a reference to the Lone Sharks that you would randomly encounter in the ocean. The next line, "If yer stores be low and start to lose yer Coil, The Brine will take to no new soil" meant that if you let your health drop from drowning, you would never reach the new land where Meikan resides. It becomes apparent that you will need to keep your health from dropping and that the Lone Sharks are the key to doing so. Many tried to use solely leach jutsu to recover health, but in most cases (barring lucky Lone Shark rng), it would not be enough. Using multiple in-battle healing items, though, would allow you to survive long enough to reach -73,0. At that point, drifting would take you to a small island where a short exploration would make you stumble across the Crater of Meikan!

I am withholding the exact location of the crater from this post so that others may find it and see for themselves. Although, anyone that discovers the location is free to reveal it. 

Final Thoughts

Another little known fact, during my time searching for Meikan, I stumbled across many other islands in multiple spots that I have never seen mentioned before (11 in total! And there still might be more that I've missed out there) and am curious why TNR staff has never decided to make their own events surrounding these islands. In hindsight, the second part of the puzzle may have been too difficult and another small hint here or there could've helped lead people on a clearer path. Even so, Phyre and I enjoyed watching others attempt to solve the riddle and we plan on holding more events soon so stay tuned!

Edited by Lav, 07 December 2018 - 12:04 AM.

• Rakusai likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users