#1 Zett

Zett

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hey, everyone!

We're going through some major forum overhauls here on the website. That means that we're going to be getting entirely brand-new sections, a brand new forum engine, and tons of new features added to the forums. I noticed that there's a significant lack of sections for TNR. Most of it seems to discourage heavy discussion and serious feedback. I'm making this thread to give everyone a chance to be heard.

What would you like to see on the new TNR Forums? Do you want a new discussion board? More areas? Rules to be opened up more?

Voice your comments about anything related to the way the Forum is run here. We'll take everything into consideration!

[Please be constructive in the comments.]

#2 Basil

Basil

Genin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close to nowhere.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

I cast my vote to rename the Questions and Comments section.
The name is rather bland, and doesn't allow much wiggle room for open discussion.

The only problem is, what would an alternative name be?

#3 lawhrer

lawhrer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:45 AM

Some little things I'd like to see added:

1. A voting system of sorts to be used (mainly) on the suggestion forums so players can vote on suggestion/posts they agree with. This should make it more interactive and would make it easier to see what the community thinks.
Not sure if this is possible though..

2. A battle-log thread. I know the last one got closed because many posters were using it as a brag thread, but it would definitely.. be useful considering not much is known about many jutsu (main generals for example). Maybe only allow battle logs to be posted, no additional comments. Or have it heavily moderated to prevent childish discussions.
You would expect that people who play a text-based rpg know how to read..
Posted Image

#4 ACEie

ACEie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

I'd like to see (in the suggestion section) a counter of how many people support the submitted suggestion and how many people disprove of the suggestion.
Possibly if a suggestion drops below a set "approved/dissaprove" ratio it could be automatically deleted. Or not.

#5 Zett

Zett

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

I cast my vote to rename the Questions and Comments section. The only problem is, what would an alternative name be?

Right now I experimented with the Social Board we have up. But I agree, it's a little bland. I think combining them would be helpful. =]

But at the same time, a really quick Q&A section for simple things would also be nice. And we could implement a "Best Answer" system for them (similar to Yahoo answers). "Discussion Board" was a possibility I considered, but I'm not too sure on the name. Additional suggestions are welcome.

1. A voting system of sorts to be used (mainly) on the suggestion forums so players can vote on suggestion/posts they agree with. This should make it more interactive and would make it easier to see what the community thinks.
2. A battle-log thread. I know the last one got closed because many posters were using it as a brag thread, but it would definitely.. be useful considering not much is known about many jutsu (main generals for example). Maybe only allow battle logs to be posted, no additional comments. Or have it heavily moderated to prevent childish discussions.

1. I approve this idea. A rating system is possible (it's doable right now, but let's wait for the new forum engine to be implemented).
2. I'm down with that. I'd like to have more player interaction and discussion, especially about cool things to do on TNR.

I'd like to see (in the suggestion section) a counter of how many people support the submitted suggestion and how many people disprove of the suggestion.
Possibly if a suggestion drops below a set "approved/dissaprove" ratio it could be automatically deleted. Or not.

This seems a little more grey. It's more doable to implement a rating system than to have something like that. This being said, the new forum engine will come complete with a "Like" button (and it'll allow you to see all of the likes, and people who liked it). So in a sense, it's very possible.

If you or anyone else has anything else more solid, I'd love to hear about it. =]

#6 AzraelsGrace

AzraelsGrace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Combo discussion thread! We have a jutsu one to talk about individual jutsu, but we should have a separate one to discuss how and what order to use said jutsu in combat

Another day in TNR lagland!

FkMUji0.png

#7 zaney

zaney

忘れられた1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:20 AM

Suggestion forum needs to be handled differently,vote based priority system would be pleasantly welcomed for the suggestion forum(currently it's discouraged or not allowed
to just show support for a suggestion you feel would make your TNR gameplay experience better,voting system would fix this(something similar to Reddit where you can upvote topics)

This game lacks any PR, users are left in the dark for a lot of things and unneeded conspiracy theories pop up because of no way for the common everyday user to
ask the staff(admins not mods) about the important questions they want answered ( for example the Last tnr event was handled disgustingly bad,the thread with a lot of questions
seemed to have been ignored by the staff and it's been a few weeks now with nothing being mentioned on it,having proper PR would solve this.

Too often are Tnr decisions made behind close door without the users knowing anything(this is still on the topic of how the last TNR event was handled,we don't know if the event team was talked to for how poorly done the last part was or what came out of some users getting an unfair advantage)

This "Question and comment" forum is more of a question no comment forum,why?the threads are too heavily moderated they get logged before any real discussion or comments can be made.

I feel as if the Jutsu thread,Bloodline thread and Stat thread(along with the much needed battle log thread,what's the point of being awesome in pvp if you can't brag?)
should be handled by the users and not the staff.

The way subforums are currently set up they're easy to miss,the important ones (such as staff feedback) should get their own forum instead of being a subforum
(though I worry how this will be handled,while criticism against the staff by the users might be needlessly harsh at times,I feel like immediately dismissing them
as we've seen so often makes the whole point of the forum mute,staff should be able to calmly talk to the users not condescend to them because their english is somewhat bad)

Combo discussion thread! We have a jutsu one to talk about individual jutsu, but we should have a separate one to discuss how and what order to use said jutsu in combat

I feel like this falls under the jutsu thread easily,but might not be allowed because of well the previous problem I stated of threads being too heavily dictated by the staff.

#8 AzraelsGrace

AzraelsGrace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

Like I said, the current jutsu thread is mainly for individual jutsu discussion. Seperating the two would make it easier for people looking for regular jutsu info and complex info.

(Use edit dont double post) xD

Another day in TNR lagland!

FkMUji0.png

#9 Basil

Basil

Genin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close to nowhere.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

I’m going to use the above as a starting point for my idea.
I don't know the logistics behind it, but I thought I'd post it.

Connecting main-game accounts with forum accounts.
Not necessarily making your main-game account your forum account, but sending certain feeds from TNR to TNF.
Such as
  • User has defeated x (battle log may or may not be included in this)
  • User has completed [rank] mission [name of mission]
  • User has married/divorced x
Etc.
Users would be allowed to select what feed they’d send over to their forum’s profile.

An additional feed could be added to TNR as well
Such as

• Check out what x has been up to (sends you to the user’s forum posts)
  • X has responded to your topic
Etc.

#10 zaney

zaney

忘れられた1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

I’m going to use the above as a starting point for my idea.
I don't know the logistics behind it, but I thought I'd post it.

Not necessarily making your main-game account your forum account, but sending certain feeds from TNR to TNF.
Such as
[list][*]User has defeated x (battle log may or may not be included in this)

Your message got way too facebooky there at the end but I agree with the first part,this would solve the whole "jutsu logs will just take up
unnecessary space in tnr and it not being a priority because it's something the users can easily solve by themselves.

But I think limiting it to pvp battles would be best(no point in seeing logs for missions/quest or random AI battles

#11 lawhrer

lawhrer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:47 AM

Some other things:

Tools thread. Basically functions like a mod thread for TNR. Players can post their tools, ask for advice/feedback etc.

With the same idea in mind, avatar thread for avatar makers. They make a post, show off their work & ask for advice etc.
Also a nice way to comment and compliment users on their work.

Small questions thread, for the newbie questions.

Additionally, if a voting system will be placed allow only positive voting.
Players could easily down-vote for other reasons than the suggestion being bad.

Such as

User has defeated x (battle log may or may not be included in this)

This I like. The rest... what zaney said. Will probably be more spam than helpful

Would like this one as well.
Posted Image

#12 DarkenWolf

DarkenWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:17 AM

To further add on to Zaney's proper PR.

Way not do like a Monthly Q and A/Review topic? Or one whenever the PR feels it would be necessary. And then Archive the old one in an easy accessible place so people can go back through questions and such. Can go over and view the changes in the past month that happened in TNR (relativity bigger changes, not like some things seen in the changelog) this will allow direct feedback from the userbase about what they think about the changes happening to TNR. Also provide a way for answers to questions such as the Event that happened why we have no feedback on that, statuses of currently being implemented features, if some staff are going to be inactive for awhile due to sickness something going on in life ect. Basically all things a PR would really be addressing. Obviously some months will be better than others (due to little or no change at all) Would be a great way to showcase changes that were made and why, get the community talking and generating feedback for many things.
You wanna be good at TNR? Convince yourself everything that you say(type) is true. Even if it is false. It doesn't matter. Because if you believe it to be true, then it must be true. Thats all that matters here.

#13 Dsn

Dsn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

i would like to see a feedback section for people that have problems with something but dont have a suggestion for it(Q and A is not good enough for it)...
loosening of the suggestions guidelines(or rewording to not make it look like a person suggesting it is a criminal if they dont knew the best reason for their suggestion).
Its DsnS in game but call me Dsn the S is only because it needs 4 letters to have username.

#14 Yaseen16

Yaseen16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTrinidad & Tobago

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

Some other things:

Tools thread. Basically functions like a mod thread for TNR. Players can post their tools, ask for advice/feedback etc.

Definitely this. As someone into the tool making, i find it very hard to manage feedback through my TNR inbox. Sometimes messages get lost because i was too late to reply or my inbox gets filled up and i have to delete some messages.

I also think that some forums are too heavily moderated. As zaney was saying, the suggestion forum is especially subjected to this. Players should be allowed to comment on a suggestion since although a suggestion may look bland at first, players can pool in their thoughts and possibly improve on the initially proposed suggestion before a final decision is met by the staff, thus creating way for better quality suggestions. Often threads are 'REJECTED AND CLOSED.' before much if not any input from the userbase.

Edited by Yaseen16, 26 October 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#15 Zett

Zett

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

Nice responses, guys. Useful feedback. Thanks. =]

First off, I would like to say that individual thread ideas are perfectly fine. But this thread's purpose is to discuss additional features/sections rather than individual threads. I can support and I agree with leaving more threads in the hands of the players and members (for example, Jutsu thread for talking about those things), but I'm more interested in the core changes to the website rather than those. But, overall, absolutely. I'm definitely down for more member involvement and letting them manage things better.

I'm going to see about finding a hook that will allow members to assign additional members to have editing powers over the original post. Should make it easier.

Spoiler

Suggestion forum changes will need to be discussed with Pana, but I'm overall cool with the idea of considering the amount of people who rated a topic / liked the post. That being said, it's impossible to make it so every suggestion will be looked at in that priority order. It could be a consideration - but not the final consultation. There are other things that are looked at such as how complicated coding the feature would be and what else it would change and effect as a result.

In reference to the PR problems, I see where you're coming from. I'm going to try and use the TNR News section to make more of an open environment on the Forums. When big changes happen I'm going to see about making it as an announcement - both on the Forums, and on the Main Site. =]

For Questions & Comments, I agree. I think it should be more open to discussion. As I mentioned to Basil in my first post, I'm open to changing the name and allowing more open topics and conversations (rather than locking most things). Power to the player, as Gamestop says.

Help me look for names and new section ideas / suggest how the new Forum should look when the areas are made. =]

Like I said, the current jutsu thread is mainly for individual jutsu discussion. Seperating the two would make it easier for people looking for regular jutsu info and complex info.

I also remember back in the day that this was a bit of a cluster. The Jutsu/Bloodline threads were always a bit cluttered.

Separating them (one with the information and facts, and another with the open discussion) would probably be best.

I like the potential for this idea a lot. It would probably be too complicated to code and implement (after thinking about it some more), but I can for sure see the merits of doing this (especially if the Forum Involvement kicks off even more). I would love to hear a more detailed idea behind this idea. =]

Your message got way too facebooky there at the end but I agree with the first part,this would solve the whole "jutsu logs will just take up
unnecessary space in tnr and it not being a priority because it's something the users can easily solve by themselves.

But I think limiting it to pvp battles would be best(no point in seeing logs for missions/quest or random AI battles

For most of the initial feed ideas suggested, I'll admit that I agree with the others. Seems a little too unnecessary for what you can send through (with just that).

Spoiler

I approve most of this with the comments I made earlier.

Voting system for threads has up to 5 stars. We have likes for individual posts, but no dislikes. =]

Spoiler

I had a similar idea for making TNR News Announcements more common. Right now the area hasn't been updated in a while despite there having been many News Posts on the main site. I can see us allowing something similar, like a "Best Topic of the Month" thread of some sort. But that'll be for later, I think. xD

Definitely something to consider.

i would like to see a feedback section for people that have problems with something but dont have a suggestion for it(Q and A is not good enough for it)...
loosening of the suggestions guidelines(or rewording to not make it look like a person suggesting it is a criminal if they dont knew the best reason for their suggestion).

It already exists, but it's buried deep in other areas. Part of the change / transfer is to get new areas and sections, and listening to what the members have to say about things, so I can support making a feedback thread more open and available.

Definitely this. As someone into the tool making, i find it very hard to manage feedback through my TNR inbox. Sometimes messages get lost because i was too late to reply or my inbox gets filled up and i have to delete some messages.

I also think that some forums are too heavily moderated. As zaney was saying, the suggestion forum is especially subjected to this. Players should be allowed to comment on a suggestion since although a suggestion may look bland at first, players can pool in their thoughts and possibly improve on the initially proposed suggestion before a final decision is met by the staff, thus creating way for better quality suggestions. Often threads are 'REJECTED AND CLOSED.' before much if not any input from the userbase.

Hi, I'm Zett and I approve this message (and your tools, which I actually use).

I'm definitely hoping to address this and more. =]

-------

When I get back home I'm going to update the original post with a mini to-do list of a sorts, but try to keep things focused on the forum arrangement / layout rather than individual threads. I'm going to try and have members update and keep them running themselves, so what I want to really zone-in on are the core sections you guys would love to see added or how the forum should be rearranged, etc.

#16 Shikayaru

Shikayaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

I'm gonna ad-on to a few things in this suggestion, sorry if I sound a little bit redundant.

1. I think News should be a main section of TNF again, but I don't like the way it's grouped right now. First, because the 3 most popular sub forums are Suggestions, Q&A, and Bugs. Part of this is that there rarely is significant changes to the news section, which also needs to change. This is the sub-forum where you could unload the PR stuff. It might even be worth it to find a user to moderate just this section. You can list real news, an expanded version of TNR's change log, and I know you said you're looking for sections/features, but a thread I think is an important idea, is to maybe have a thread that lists specifically what admins like Pana and Terr are currently working on. They might not like to spend the time to constantly update this, but quickly posting things like, "I'm working on updating the Grand Market this week." Minor, quick changes don't have to go on their, but if a mod/admin has a week long or longer project, post it there so users can see that something is happening. This would also be a good place to list staff information.

2. Separate questions and comments completely and create a Resources sub forum. The jutsu thread, the bloodline thread, and especially the professions thread are all more of resources threads. Questions and comments will show up in them, but they're main purpose is to provide resources. You could also have a thread, or better yet a sub-forum in the Resources sub-forum for Yaseen's/Dsn's tools threads. Separating the resources from the Q&A section is important because a lot of times, the resource type threads, even though they are sticky, get a little bit buried under comments and questions. Then posts will be limited to information being added the resources or feedback to fix problem with or improve the resources or tools.

3. As some have said prior in this thread, separating the questions from the comments is important because currently the sub-forum is dominated with questions and people commenting on those questions. Questions should be for questions. Comments can and should be a very important method for feedback. This is where event feedback should show up, maybe in another sub-forum even. Users shouldn't have to hunt through the news section for event feedback threads.

4. You've gotten the point by now that there should be a rating system for suggestions. If we will be able to "Like" different threads, that will help. The problem with the suggestions right now is that all it takes for a suggestion to be accepted is one person to make a suggestion and an admin to agree that its good. Every other player in the game might hate the idea, but that doesn't matter the way suggestions are right now. I think the biggest reason Panama doesn't want the whole "I agree," or "I like" kind of reply posts in the suggestions forum is because he doesn't want to clutter up good suggestions or bad suggestions, when constructive improvements could be drowned out by them. So here's an option you can use if you can't find a better way for users to vote or rate suggestions: Allow users to reply to a sticky thread with a list of all the accepted suggestions. Give them a template that they must use and delete any replies that don't use the template, and have users simply list all of the suggestion in their reply with ranking of +1 to -1 or maybe even qualify it more by using a +3 to -3 system. Then periodically Pana or a lower level forum mod can go through the list and tally up which suggestions are considered higher priorities to the users. This will help Pana and Terr determine what they should work on next and they can see if the user actually don't like a suggestion that they accepted.

5. This one isn't of huge importance, but I think it could help to make some sub-forums under the bugs sub-forum. One would be Aesthetic Errors and then another for gamplay errors. You might even be able to think of a third category, but I think it would help to separate these 2. I know that there is currently a thread for aesthetic errors, but I just feel like a whole sub-forum would help encourage people to report those. Ideally most low level bugs would end up in this section. It would help Terr spend more time on the important bugs, and I think most of the low level/aesthetic type of bugs are things that concern Pana more than Terr usually, so it would just help prioritize things, while still encouraging users to report small things that right now they might not find important enough to report in the bug sub-forum. One example that I can think of right now is that on the battle page, none of the radio buttons use labels, or at least not correctly. I haven't looked at the HTML, but labels tags in HTML should have a "for" attribute that tells them what form item they represent. So the text "flee", "punch in the face", and "Use Chakra" each represent the radio button next to them. If the "for" attribute has properly been tied to the radio button, clicking on the text label will select the radio button. Currently either labels aren't being used or the "for" attribute isn't set. This makes things annoying for users like me who are used to clicking anywhere on the text of the option rather than having to click on the exact circle that is the radio button, they are also really helpful when on mobile. If you can just click on the word "flee", it's a lot easier than trying to click on a little dot on your phone. Right now, I don't feel like that is a big enough issue to post in the bug forum, but I also don't want it getting buried away on the aesthetic errors thread. If you have a whole Aesthetic Errors sub-forum, Pana can just flip through them quickly rather than reading through a length thread looking for things he feels like fixing.

#17 lawhrer

lawhrer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

Something small, not sure if do-able.

Have post guidelines show up when creating a post or force post in a certain format.
Mainly because many people either forget it or miss it when reporting bugs or suggestion new ideas.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users