29 replies to this topic

#1 Kanu

Kanu

Old Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

Since our Manual and Moderating staff have already put up informal public guidelines for feedback, it seems like we should have something similar for Events and Content, the two sectors of TNR staff that have relatively opaque workings. I would like to be able to get regular feedback from the userbase regarding their performance. But, to be honest, I couldn't think of a good way to do this. Forum threads tend to get pretty publicly ugly and chaotic pretty fast, and random individual conversations are just too scattered to be very useful in most situations.

However, the makeshift trade system seems to be working out well, so I thought we could try something similar with feedback. The idea is pretty simple: I'll take the comments via PMs, and store and organize them elsewhere. So, if you would like to send me comments or suggestions, whether positive or negative, regarding either the event or content staff, please take a look at the following guidelines:

Basic Rules

• Be as clear and concise as possible. Keep yourself within the size constraints of ONE PM per issue. Stick to main points; this is not a way for you to complain about how much damage your one personal jutsu is currently doing, etc. Forum threads, as well as the Balance subforum, are available to you for detailed discussions.

• If you make specific claims (e.g. "she sent harassing PMs to me through an event character"), please substantiate them to the best of your ability. If you want to criticize a staff member's attitude on the forum, for example, please show me actual posts. Hearsay is NOT evidence.

• This is meant for constructive feedback only. I will NOT reply to most comments unless they contain questions (that I can actually answer), or I need to follow up on something. I will not save messages that are unintelligible or not useful (e.g. rants, incorrect assumptions/guesses about what happens among the staff, etc.).

Content Staff

Spoiler

Event Staff

Spoiler

Moderators and head mods are not included here because they already have systems of feedback and accountability. Their work is easily checked, both by user complaints/appeals and through constant supervision. Issues with moderators can be discussed over PMs or through support tickets; plus, there's the forum thread Grammardor recently put up for informal discussion, which is linked above. Moderating actions tend to be more visible in general, and their interactions with users usually happen on a one-on-one basis. So, as always, feel free to just PM me, or another moderator, head mod, or admin, with any questions or comments you have regarding the moderating team. No guidelines are really necessary for this.

I'll leave this thread open just in case there are any general questions and such. Please post responsibly.

Kanu says
I have to wonder
if he ever just wakes up in the morning and thinks

Grammardor says
End of sentence there.
Kanu says
touche
-----------------------------------

[c=58]Koi -Zero-[/c] says:
o__o I want to hug and pet your soul...

Spoiler

#2 Cedzen

Cedzen

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts
  • LocationHorizon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Okay, so, my suggestions on improvements in procedure:

• Content staff and user-base could benefit from greater transparency. To that end, content staff should have their identities made public, and their roles within the team properly defined to the user base.
    -
  • ALL and not just some content changes should be accompanied by a notification that said change has occurred though specifics (i.e. numbers and what exactly has changed) are not necessary.
    -
  • ALL content staff should be trained in the requisite balancing techniques and equipped with the necessary tools to do their job properly. It has come to my attention that this is currently not the case.
    -
  • Pending greater activity and cohesion among and between individual members, it would perhaps be helpful for the content staff to periodically publish their short-term agenda (monthly, every 2 months, whatever), to keep the user base abreast of the goings on behind the scenes.
    -
  • A less important suggestion but still noteworthy: Combat is different at each rank, so, aside from the main content admin perhaps a member of the content team at each rank might be helpful, though we should be wary of a team becoming too large to function efficiently.

These are just some things off the top of my head that I've been thinking on for the past few months and thought I'd share.

Edited by Cedzen, 18 April 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#3 Kanu

Kanu

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Content staff and user-base could benefit from greater transparency. To that end, content staff (and event staff as well I guess) should have their identities made public, and their roles within the team properly defined to the user base.

Agreed on transparency. However, defining roles isn't actually important for event designers, who all pretty much do the same thing. They work either independently or together, at their discretion, on event designs and run them. That's really the entirety of it. Unless there is an explicit need, I'd rather not mandate that they publish their identities, especially considering they have to personally pilot and act out every event NPC and RP character. If there is a specific issue with a specific staff member, of course we would address it on a case-by-case basis. Otherwise, I'd like to leave it up to the event staff whether or not they want to let the userbase know who they are. And... generally speaking, they do it anyway (e.g. via feedback threads they make for their own events).

Pretty much agreed on the rest. We would need to actually hire content team members to fill those roles before implementing them, though.

Kanu says
I have to wonder

Grammardor says
End of sentence there.
Kanu says
touche

Spoiler

#4 Cedzen

Cedzen

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts
  • LocationHorizon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Duly noted on the subject of event staff, original post edited to reflect that. I'll work on drafting a proposal on a framework for standardising content staff hires and see if it passes a cursory evaluation before more serious consideration of the topic. The event staff application might provide some measure of inspiration to that end.

#5 HiroPetrelli

HiroPetrelli

Old Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4711 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

I am concerned that [Name] is behaving inappropriately in [these threads].

if you want this format...the names of those who are involved in each group (content/event staff) would need to be released.

As of now, only moderating staff is known to users, while the members of the two groups you are mentioning here is not really public knowledge.

#6 Cedzen

Cedzen

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts
  • LocationHorizon

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

I'll be fixing that soon, Hiro, just need to get in contact with everyone and inform them of my intention first.

#7 Pana

Pana

Phoenix King

• Administrator
  • 6082 posts
  • LocationKazama HQ, plotting more terror while feeding the evil Batcat.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Original reasoning to keeping part of the Content members hidden is void now anyway. Reasoning being that people are a lot more honest against people who aren't staff then people who are staff. Which was vital during the massive updates done in the past, but those are no longer inbound.

da70a035141689477464498375_700wa_0.gif

#8 HiroPetrelli

HiroPetrelli

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4711 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

names still haven't been released. unless they were posted somewhere else?

#9 Kanu

Kanu

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4465 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Right now it's panama, Cedzen, and Quinton345. May be a new hire sometime soon.

Kanu says
I have to wonder

Grammardor says
End of sentence there.
Kanu says
touche

Spoiler

#10 Cedzen

Cedzen

Jounin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts
  • LocationHorizon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

Sorry, oversight on my part. I'll include this information in the next newspost when I make the next big update.

#11 HiroPetrelli

HiroPetrelli

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4711 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

and event staff?

Also, would recommend leaving content staff at 3. The more people you have, the more disagreement might/will exist among them. This would lead in work being finalized very slowly while trying for the team to come to an agreement. Or people start doing less work since they would be waiting for others to chip in...speaking from personal experience.

Unless of course, the 3 users feel overwhelmed with the amount of work and the team feels a larger groups is needed.

Though I also do share Cedzen's concern from earlier in the thread, where he mentions that at least one member from each rank should be part of the team. As far as I am aware, a chuunin 'expert' and a SJ 'expert' are currently missing, though unsure if panama's alt can be counted on as the jounin part of the team (aka. is enough time spent on the jounin account to be considered an 'expert'?). Anyway, since commanders use the same jutsu as SJs, an SJ 'expert' is not really needed. Leaving only a need for a chuunin user (and a jounin one?).

Edited by HiroPetrelli, 02 May 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#12 Kanu

Kanu

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4465 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

I don't think the content team is looking for more than three or four. And we discussed the anonymity of event staff earlier.

Kanu says
I have to wonder

Grammardor says
End of sentence there.
Kanu says
touche

Spoiler

#13 HiroPetrelli

HiroPetrelli

Old Fossil

• Members
  • 4711 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

oh, I must have missed the event staff anonymity bit. carry on.

#14 Ardaal

Ardaal

Staff Pet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Just pointing it out there.... each of 4 members being from each of 4 ranks (chuunin, jounin, SJ, comm) and 4 offenses (wep, gen, nin, tai) would be pretty good, specially each from 4 offenses, not mandatory of course though. I am thinking of this probably because I have heard a lot before in tavern and many places that a balance team member is more biased towards his offense. Doesn't mean it's true.... but having each of the member one different offense (may be with their alts, if BL change is out of the question) wouldn't hurt too.

Posted Image

#15 tirey74

tirey74

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

ammm how do we PM the NPC with our team if it doesnt exist anymore?
Tirey RP Post: 7/75

Noming on Bombs is good for digestion

#16 o-o

o-o

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

Why is it most events might as well be rigged in favor of certain groups of the player base?
I've seen a lot that rely on slight misspellings of words, done on purpose, or you have to write something like an essay or whatever that is subjective based on how well you did it. 3/4 this games population doesn't speak English as a first language, and of those only 1/4 know it well enough to participate fairly. Really only about 1/4 the game can actually win events which is why the same people usually do. There are people in the tavern asking for help because they cant do anything because they cant read the "clues".

Why is it alright for them to be not only left out, but also have to deal with the prizes that are put out there?

#17 KingsAce

KingsAce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIN, USA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:27 AM

all events can't be put in every language to make it fair, events are done by people on the event team who want to make a fun event for people in tnr. so they are events by players for players, and tnr is in english because its a common language that most can somewhat understand. plus most events don't get out prizes that will completely unbalance the game but will also be worth attempting the event to try to win. events are only done if you want they aren't forced on you so you can participate if you wish. tnr won't make everyone happy but try to make as many people as they can and will always have those that can't understand or don't have enough drive to do the events will be left out. the events that are done are done can only be done in a certain way and not everyone will be happy with the outcome its just how things are

#18 o-o

o-o

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

If things cant be done fairly, then they aren't being done right. There are a ton of ways to make events that are straightforward easier for those who don't know English well enough.

Why should people who want to be involved in the events be left out due to laziness. Its not the same as not being around for the event, its blatant segregation of who can get the prizes. If you honestly believe the events themselves were ever difficult, then that's your problem. But the level of difficulty is never high in any case, its annoying at most trying to figure out if there are purposeful grammatical errors or not. Making it so its people don't need an English lesson before playing is not hard at all.

#19 KingsAce

KingsAce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIN, USA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

problem is not laziness, the problem is in lack of an event team, there aren't many people on it and with one person usually making or running the event they do it in a way that they know how to do so, if the team had more people to help with the events maybe people like yourself then yes it'll be easier for the events to be made and ran easier for a larger playerbase.

#20 o-o

o-o

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Its not hard in the least to do a checklist and then take a minute to think of a way to fix problems. So it is laziness and always was.
If it cant be fair, then it shouldn't be done. It might as well just be rigged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users